The mother has a vascular relationship with the child. This vein is medically called the umbilical cord stump. It creates a link between mother and baby. The Mom’s side is attached to the uterus (fetus) and the baby’s part is attached to the baby’s navel. The baby receives food from the mother’s body, immunity through the Umbilical cord stump. Throughout the mother’s womb, the baby communicates with its mother through the Umbilical cord stump. And after birth, the child is separated from the mother by cutting the pulse. There are scientific and correct methods for cutting these umbilical glands which if not cut properly, there is a risk of the baby getting various diseases from the navel root. After birth, the baby’s side part is cut off leaving something and this time requires proper care. Many times parents are worried about how to take care of the navel?
The story of a maternity mother
The nurse came and put Rimpy in her bosom. He just woke up. Now it’s time to drink milk. Just a day ago Rimpy saw the light of this world. After becoming a mother for the first time, a new chapter began in Diksha’s life. This is what Deeksha thought while breastfeeding. Suddenly he noticed some skin rising from Rimpy’s navel. Yesterday his body was very tired so he did not fall in his eyes. Asking the nurse standing next to her, she said it was part of her mother’s pulse. After a while, it falls from the baby’s body. Debanjan came from the nursing home on holiday. The doctor was telling the parents how to take care of the little gold. He explained how to take care of cord stumps.
What is the Umbilical Cord Stump?
This vein is the umbilical cord stump in medical terms. The umbilical Stamp is formed from the mother’s placenta during pregnancy. The fetus communicates with the mother’s body through this cord. According to experts, the growth of the fetus during pregnancy is entirely dependent on this cord. Because through this cord are the necessary nutrients from the mother’s body go to the fetal body. After the baby is born, the cord is cut from the baby’s navel.
How long does the cord last?
The color is yellow-green when the doctor cuts the cord. After cutting, it dries slowly and turns black. It usually falls off within seven to 28 days after birth. A slight yellow or clear liquid comes out when it falls off. There is no nerve in it and no pain is felt after the fall. According to experts, sometime after the cord falls, some tissue remains in the navel. This is called an umbilical granuloma. If this granuloma does not go away on its own, it has to go away through treatment.
As long as the umbilical cord stump is not falling off, it needs to be taken care of. How to take care of it? Asked Diksha, The doctor gave several tips to take care of it.
To learn how to properly cut the navel and take care of the navel after the baby is born:
- The umbilical cord stump should be tied four and six inches above the abdomen with clean, sterile yarn or tape.
- The umbilical gland should then be cut between the two joints with a sterile, water-soaked blade or scissors.
- After cutting, a disinfectant should be applied to the umbilical cord stump.
- Fresh thorns can easily infect the navel, so care should be taken to ensure that the environment where the baby is kept is clean, dust-free. Care should be taken to ensure that flies do not land in the navel. The newly cut navel is an easy way for germs to enter the body. For this, proper care of the navel should be taken by washing hands in a proper hygienic way during birth and aftercare.
After cutting the navel, apply 7.1 percent chlorhexidine only once and keep the navel dry. No bandages or cloths of any kind may be given.
- Urine in the navel, if it touches the toilet, it should be washed immediately with clean water, wiped with a cloth, and dried.
- If blood or zirconium sticks to the navel after birth, it should be removed and cleaned.
- If there is bleeding during the postpartum period, an additional knot should be given before the first knot.
- If foul-smelling pus comes out through the navel and the skin around it is red, it should be understood that the navel has been infected. If necessary, he should be admitted to the hospital and treated by intravenous antibiotic injection.
- In the case of minor navel infections, it is beneficial to apply spirit while keeping it clean.
- Use of delivery kit in every delivery.
- The hands of the trained midwife should be kept clean in soap and clean water. The cervix of the mother should be similarly clean. The place where the child is born should be kept clean and tidy. The razor blade, the yarn, the yard should be sterile.
- After delivery, the midwife should wash her hands thoroughly in soapy water and cut the pulse with clean hands.
- There is no need to apply any dressing, bandage, or antiseptic after cutting the pulse. Keep the pulse dry. Stay clean and open. The newborn should be sterilized. Within a few days, the pulse will dry up automatically.
Many people are worried about navel care after the baby is born. Some people think it is better to apply oil, while others want to apply antiseptic cream again and again. The navel of the newborn remains raw. There is a risk of infection in the newborn baby. So proper care of the navel of the newborn is very important.
What to do to take care of the navel of the newborn
After birth, doctors clamp or twist the baby’s navel and attach a plastic or metal cord clamp or tape like a clip. This quickly stops the flow of blood to the navel and reduces the chances of infection in the navel.
After cutting the pulse, 7.1 percent chlorhexidine has to be applied. Nurses or health workers apply it within the first 48 hours. However, after 48 hours, there is no need to apply any dressing, bandage, or antiseptic ointment on the navel. The navel should be kept dry, clean, and open at all times. Do not touch the navel unnecessarily.
Previously, antiseptic powder or cotton soaked cotton was used to care for the navel of the newborn. But recent research has shown that the drier the navel, the lower the risk of infection. You can wash the place with lukewarm water and wipe the place with clean cloth once a day. Many people have a hot roast which is not right. Many people clean it again with alcohol, which can cause burns. The following tasks can be done.
Keep clean: It is important to keep the umbilical cord clean until it falls off. If for some reason dirt accumulates in it or it becomes sticky, it should be cleaned slowly with a cloth. Doctors forbid using any kind of soap while cleaning. This can spread the infection to the cord. In addition, the use of soap also damages the small golden skin.
Sponge bath: Applying water to the navel until the umbilical cord stump is dry is harmful to the retina. Water can cause any kind of infection in the stump. After the birth, the doctors forbade Sonamani to bathe in the bathtub for this reason. Instead of bathing in the bathtub, the small body should be sponged well at this time. When sponging, be careful not to water the umbilical cord stump.
Keep the stamp dry: It needs to be kept dry all the time until the stump falls off. However, when the sponge is applied, water may get stuck in the umbilical cord stump. After sponge, lay the little baby in the open air for a while. If water gets on the stamp, it will dry out.
When Wear and open clothing: Cord stumps can be strained if the clothing is tight. According to experts, which should not be? Wear loose clothing instead of tight clothing. This does not put undue pressure on the cord stump. When buying baby clothes, buy clothes that are not too tight.
Wear diapers carefully: The cord stump should never be covered while wearing diapers. The diaper part on the lower abdomen often covers the cord stump. Before putting on the diaper, cut that part round. The cord stamp will not be covered.
No attempt to remove: Many parents become impatient and try to remove the cord stump or see with their hands how to lose it has become. According to experts, doing so repeatedly on a cord stump can damage the small gold navel. Rather, it should be allowed to fall by itself.
Keep hands clean: The cord stump is sensitive enough compared to other parts of the baby. The infection spreads easily if you hold the cord stump with dirty hands. This is why experts say that you should always wash your hands with a good handwash before handing over the cord stump. In most cases, the cord stamp dries out without any infection. However, the stamp is very sensitive. So according to the doctor, it is not uncommon to have an infection. Deeksha asked if it is an infection, how it can be understood. The doctor replied with several symptoms.
How to understand Umbilical infection?
Redness, swelling: When there is an infection in the cord stump, the part gradually turns red. At the same time, the thin skin of the stump becomes swollen.
Fluid lumps: A lump-like part grows inside the infected cord stump. This lump is filled with pus. In many cases, such lumps can grow around the stump, not inside the stump.
Purulent discharge: Purulent fluid is excreted from inside the infected cord stump. This liquid is usually added to the odor. If any such fluid comes out of the cord stump, it should be understood that there is an infection.
Bleeding: A very small amount of blood is shed when the cord stump falls off. When the cord stump is infected, more blood is expelled through the navel. If a large amount of blood is shed before the navel falls off, it should be understood that the infection has taken place.
Fever: Infection of the cord stump can also cause a small gold fever. According to some experts, this is a side effect of the infection. In other words, in some children, this fever is the main symptom of the infection.
Drowsiness: The child is drowsy occasionally. But there are no symptoms of any disease in the body. Khukumani has no shortage of milk. According to experts, such an event within a few days of birth may be due to an infection in the cord stump.
Mood swings: Infections can cause severe pain in the navel. As a result, it is normal for the mood to deteriorate. Not eating milk at the right time, crying, etc. can be due to infection.
Abdominal bloating: This occurs when the infection becomes very severe. In this case, there is swelling all around the navel.
When to take medical help/danger signal
The navel of a newborn can often have foul-smelling white pus. This condition is called umbilical hernia or umbilical sepsis. Navel infections cause redness around the navel and the release of special substances through the navel. In these cases, if you put your hand on the baby’s navel, he will cry.
This is usually caused by a bacterial infection called Staphylococcus. This can be confirmed by examining the routine and culture of umbilical discharge. Many times it can go from the navel to the liver and spread in the blood. Then jaundice, liver abscess, and other terrible conditions can arise. Sometimes the infection can spread to bones or other organs. It is a complex and terrible health problem for the newborn. He will then be taken to the nearest health center.
In many cases, the baby’s navel swells and swells more when crying. This is due to the weakness of the muscles around the baby’s navel. This is called an umbilical hernia. When crying, constipation or any other reason increases the pressure inside the abdomen, the navel becomes more swollen. Later it becomes the same again. In most cases, it gets better within a year. Large hernias can take four to five years. Don’t worry about it. However, if the vein gets stuck inside the hernia, becomes red or cries a lot, consult a doctor.
If there is regular bleeding from the navel, it may be a sign of a problem with the blood clotting process. If the newborn looks dull, stops sucking milk, does not look properly, does not wake up, or has difficulty breathing, then it is a serious infection of the newborn. Then the child has to be taken to the electric hospital.
Misconceptions about the navel of the newborn
- The three-day-old newborn baby is named. The grandparents came with the child’s parents to give a detailed account of the child’s problems. Mustard oil has been applied to the navel. The idea is that the navel will dry quickly.
- In order to dry the navel of the newborn, many conventional methods are resorted to in the region. These include garlic and hot oil. Somewhere vermilion is applied to the navel, mother’s malted milk, somewhere leafy juice, in ancient times dung is also seen. There are still many examples of such malpractice in the care of the navel of the newborn. As a result, the newborn’s navel infection, if the mother did not get the tetanus-resistant vaccine during pregnancy, the baby may die of diseases such as tetanus or sepsis.
Appropriate treatment of navel infection
- If pus comes out of the navel, if the area around the navel turns red, it is considered a navel infection, and treatment with antibiotics can be started immediately. For example, amoxicillin 15 mg/kg every eight hours at home for five days.
- The pus should be washed with soapy water and dried with clean sterile gauze. Later the navel infection area should be painted with antiseptic. Gentian violet, povidone-iodine, or chlorhexidine can be used for this purpose.
- If pus comes out of the umbilical cord infection or redness spreads to the skin around the navel, apply gentamicin (8.5mg / kg once daily) and fluoxetine / 50mg / kg every six to eight hours, depending on the age of the baby.
- If the newborn looks dull, stops sucking milk, does not look properly, does not wake up, or has difficulty breathing, then it is a serious infection of the newborn. The baby should then be rushed to the hospital so that complete treatment can be given by injection.
If the pulse of the newborn is not cut quickly, intelligence increases: research said
Extra five-ten minutes And a little patience. This can be an additional benefit in the development of the child’s intelligence! A Bengali doctor in India has taken the initiative to establish the opposite of the method of delivery that has been followed in different countries for centuries.
He conducted parallel research in two hospitals in Gujarat and Kolkata. It has been found that if the umbilical cord is not cut within a few seconds of birth and the baby is placed on the mother’s chest in that position and waits until the placenta comes out normally, more oxygen reaches the baby’s brain. Which helps is the proper development of his intellect at a later time. As well as having the opportunity to breastfeed at birth, her immunity also increases. News from “Anandabazar”.
The study was published in the American Journal of Perinatology. Officials at India’s Union Health Ministry say they are considering how to educate doctors in hospitals.
Pediatrician Arun Singh was able to reduce the death rate of sick newborns in one fell swoop by setting up a Sick New Born Care Unit (SNCU). It is called Purulia Model as it was first introduced at Purulia Sadar Hospital. This model is used in several countries including India.
Arun Babu was the head of the neonatal department at SSKM Hospital in Kolkata. He is currently the National Adviser on ‘State Child Health Activities’ under the Union Ministry of Health.
He has conducted research at a government hospital in Gujarat and at SSKM Hospital in Kolkata. In babies who have had a cord cut after birth, the amount of oxygen in their body, and those who have been waiting for the placenta to come out, oxygen levels have been found to be higher in the second case.
Arun said the umbilical cord is usually cut after a normal delivery. The placenta still clings to the mother’s body. “There are 20-25centimeter long pipe between the placenta and the baby’s navel, where blood flows,” he said. The scissors are continued as soon as the cord is four or five centimeters out during delivery. The rest stays with the mother. But it takes about five minutes for the placenta to come out on its own. ‘
According to Arunbabu, the baby is in the amniotic fluid in the mother’s womb. She gets the necessary oxygen from her mother through the placenta. If the cord is cut at birth, the oxygen does not reach him. He has to collect oxygen from the outside air. In the beginning, there may be some problems with that work. That is why it is important for the cord to be attached to the mother for a few minutes while adjusting to the outside world after birth. If the cord is not cut, it is possible to get some oxygen from there.
“Even those Ten minutes are being used,” he said. After birth, the baby is placed directly on the mother’s chest. The whole world is saying that it is important to start breastfeeding within one hour of birth. In this case, it is starting from the very beginning. Not only that but also the bleeding from the placenta is also going to be reduced.
In Arun’s words, ‘From the day the doctors started giving birth, the cord-cutting started. Because it turned out, it will take less time. The number of deliveries will increase. The baby gets less oxygen in the cesarean section. But if you get less oxygen for five minutes, it affects your intellect.
Pediatricians consider this study very important. Asim Mallick, in-charge of SNCU at Nilratan Sarkar Medical College Hospital, said, “Cards are being cut late in various hospitals in the state. This allows more oxygen to reach the brain as well as prevent the problem of anemia.
But there are other opinions. Apurba Ghosh, director of the Institute of Child Health, said, “There is still no consensus on delayed cord clamping. I don’t think there’s any point in holding the cord too long. The baby needs to be warmed up quickly after birth. That is also important. ‘
Another pediatrician at a medical college in Kolkata said, “If the baby does not cry at birth, then resuscitation has to be done.” Then it is necessary to cut the cord and make that arrangement immediately.”